Thursday, November 30, 2006

FILMMAKING Alistair MacLean

About a month ago, maybe more, my buddy Matt Levinthal asked me if I wanted to direct a short film. Two friends of his, Meredith Binder and Ian Stone, had written and were producing a script that they were going to star in but didn't also want to direct. Their first director had to pull out for medical reasons, and I was the next obvious choice. After all, it's a Jewish conversion comedy and I grew up Lutheran in the WASPy Chicago suburbs.

The movie is called "Alistair MacLean: Y'did Nefesh," and no, it's not about the Scottish author who wrote The Guns of Navarone. It's about a booksmart guy who needs to find his y'did nefesh, his "Jewish soul." We've been rehearsing, we've been fine-tuning the script, and we've been filling out the crew. The movie starts shooting mid-December and I'll keep you updated.

No comments: